Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors
Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors provide stoichiometric measurement of exhaust gases in gasoline and alternative fuel engine applications to help manufacturers meet current and future exhaust emissions standards by providing more accurate engine control and better exhaust system diagnostics. The Mini-Switching Sensors are based on Delphi's proven Switching Oxygen Sensor technology, but feature a dramatic reduction in size and weight — up to 50 percent smaller size and only about a third of the weight. Their smaller size enables significantly reduced light-off — up to 50 percent faster — for improved emissions benefits.
Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors, like Delphi's conventional Switching Oxygen Sensors, feature planar element technology for fast light-off and low cost, and they have a pumped air reference feature to prevent air reference contamination. They also include a zirconia-based element with planar geometry. Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors can be used in an exhaust system in either an engine-out or in a post-converter location.
- Significantly reduced size enables applications for small gasoline engines that require closed-loop control (e.g. motorcycles).
- Compatible with applications that can use gasoline-ethanol blended fuels (e.g. zero-turn commercial lawn mowers).
- 12 mm sensor thread enables easier installation on small exhaust pipes.
- A lower shield has a shorter insertion depth into the exhaust pipe and a smaller diameter, which reduces exhaust restriction especially in small diameter exhaust pipes.
- Fast light-off time with a low-wattage heater can help reduce system costs and help reduce cold-start emissions.
- Pumped air reference prevents air reference contamination from various sources, including: grommet, exhaust and external sources.
- Delphi's industry-leading, poison-resistant coating helps optimize sensor durability.
- While shorter than our conventional Switching Oxygen Sensors, Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors maintain a high-temperature capability enabling flexibility for location of the sensor and consistent operation across a wide range of temperatures. Their mounting location flexibility and high temperature tolerance contribute to improved sensor performance, reliability and durability.
- An integrated heater allows the sensor to be mounted further downstream preventing sensor biasing due to close proximity to the exhaust ports.
- With an integrated heater, the sensor remains active under all conditions, including extended idles.
- Low power consumption helps minimize the vehicle's electrical energy requirements.
- Robust construction resists thermal shock without cracking.
Delphi's Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors offer significant size reduction to enable improved packaging for small gasoline engine applications.
|13.5 V Applied Heater
| Rich voltage
| Lean voltage
Rich to lean response time
| Lean to rich response time
| Static lambda
| Sensor light-off or time to activity
| Heater power at 13.5 V, 450°C exhaust
| Heater in-rush current at 21°C, 13.5 V
||<1 amp maximum
(Target performance at 450°C exhaust. For reference only.)
Delphi offers Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors for gasoline engine programs, such as motorcycles which will require closed-loop sensors to help meet anticipated new exhaust emissions regulations. The sensors can also be used in engine programs for commercial products such as lawn mowers and power generators, and for "power sports" products such as personal ATVs, to enable the use of gasoline-ethanol blended fuels.
In serial production. Engineering samples are available to manufacturers as part of the Delphi Multec® Electronic Fuel Injection engine management system for small engines. Contact Delphi for more information.
The smaller size and weight of the Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors allow significant flexibility in small engine programs. They offer performance advantages versus conventional conical sensor technology including, faster light-off time and a low-wattage heater. They can also help achieve lower cold-start emissions compared with conical sensor designs.
Compared to other switching oxygen sensors, Delphi Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors (and Delphi's conventional Switching Oxygen Sensors) offer a pumped air reference feature. They also feature waterproofing, a high-temperature internal seal which helps provide robust reliability, and Delphi's industry-leading poison-resistant coatings.
Delphi's cost-competitive Mini-Switching Oxygen Sensors can help manufacturers develop products that provide excellent value and deliver outstanding performance.
The Delphi Advantage
Delphi has one of the industry's most complete portfolios of sensors and a thorough understanding of systems integration. Delphi offers global manufacturing capabilities for sensors and the benefits of more than 30 years' experience in powertrain sensors research and production. Delphi has produced hundreds of millions of exhaust sensors and can provide manufacturers with the necessary support and high quality, high value products tailored to specific requirements.
As a global leader in engine management systems technology, Delphi can help manufacturers around the world meet emissions requirements, improve fuel economy and enhance performance. Delphi is a source for high value solutions and our systems expertise is built into every product. Delphi's flexible engineering approach encourages collaboration. And, Delphi has a thorough understanding of markets around the world and a global network of resources.