Delphi Smart Remote Actuators
Delphi Smart Remote Actuators (SRAs) are electromechanical devices that actuate engine features, such as variable geometry (VG) and dual stage turbochargers, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valves and exhaust flap control valves. They also supply precise rotary position feedback to the engine control unit, which is provided by a controlled area network (CAN-protocol).
High vibration and temperature resistance capabilities enable Delphi SRAs to withstand harsh environments. Liquid cooling is also available for extremely high temperature environment applications to protect the brushless motor and the integrated electronics.
- Integrated electronics with position sensing provide enhanced accuracy resolution
- DC brushless motor metal gears and aluminum body provide high torque and extended durability
- Configurable mechanical default position and multiple mounting options enable various customer mounting options
- Compact unit design with a single connection and multiple options (integrated or pigtail) enables mounting and packaging flexibility
- 12 V/24 V compatibility provides application flexibility
- Industry standard J1939 CAN communication for integration with the engine control unit
Delphi SRA 6 High Value High Flexibility (HVHF) Smart Remote Actuator
EGR system showing precision controlled actuator options
Delphi Smart Remote Actuators are typically used for high-demand EGR and turbo (vane, nozzle, waste gate and by-pass) applications, such as medium duty and heavy duty diesel engines to help provide optimum performance and enable compliance with current and future exhaust emissions standards.
- For EGR control: The SRA drives a linked EGR valve into the position that is required by the engine control unit to provide the optimum EGR rate.
- For Turbo control: The SRA drives linked or directly engaged features in the turbo charger to optimize engine performance.
- For Exhaust Flap control: The SRA drives a linked exhaust valve to the position required by the engine control unit for optimum exhaust pressure and engine braking.
Their durability, flexible mounting options and adaptability make Delphi Smart Remote Actuators ideal for the actuation of high-temperature gas controls and other powertrain devices.
| ||SRA 5 |
|SRA 6 |
|Peak torque output |
|Up to 12.0 Nm |
|Up to 8.0 Nm |
|Continuous torque output |
|Up to 8.0 Nm |
|Up to 6.0 Nm |
| 0.12° to 0.26° |
|Response time |
| <180 ms |
|<150 ms |
|Rotation travel ||Up to 120° (Consult Delphi for travel limits recommendation) |
|Operating temperature range ||-40°C to 150°C |
|CAN J1939 |
|Mechanical default position |
and spring force
|Power input |
|12 V, 24 V |
The high precision of the integrated electronics in Delphi Smart Remote Actuators enables significant flow control improvement in EGR systems. They provide improved control, speed and precision for turbo systems, versus pneumatic and hydraulic actuators.
The Delphi Advantage
Delphi offers the benefits of a long history of actuator design, development and manufacturing expertise and has one of the widest portfolios of actuators for the automotive and heavy duty industries. Delphi is continually developing new and improved actuating technologies to help manufacturers meet objectives for emissions control, fuel economy, drivability and noise.
As a global leader in engine management systems technology, Delphi can help manufacturers meet emissions requirements, improve fuel economy and enhance performance. Delphi is a source for high value solutions and our systems expertise is built into every product. Delphi's flexible engineering approach encourages collaboration. And, Delphi has a thorough understanding of automotive markets around the world and a global network of resources.