Data Connectivity Systems
Delphi Wireless Device Charging
A Delphi Wireless Device Charging System blends convenience and safety in a single package by providing passive charging of mobile consumer electronic devices in vehicles over short distances without contact. This technology eliminates the need for chargers, adaptors and cords that can become tangled and interfere with driver and passenger comfort. The hands-free system includes an inductive pad.
These systems are designed to meet Qi, PMA and A4WP standards for inductive electrical power transfer over distances of up to 4 cm (1.6 in). Multi-mode systems are being developed to provide cross-standard capability.
Delphi has been working closely with a wireless energy transfer technology provider to develop this wireless charging system, which uses a magnetic field from a source coil in the vehicle to transmit power to the device. The high efficiency, seamless, effortless and safe process can fully charge a device at a rate comparable to most residential plug-in chargers.
Delphi can also couple peer-to-peer Near Field Communications (NFC) with wireless device charging. This powerful, compact system integrates various functions to pair seamlessly with the vehicle, while also allowing it to wirelessly charge.
- Built-in convenience and simplicity
- Enables easy, automatic and hands-free charging that activates when a device is in range
- Eliminates need for distracting charge cords, plugs and adaptors
- Provides power from milliwatts to tens of watts
- Keeps devices at a high level of charge to help extend battery life
- Safe and reliable
- Generates minimal heading and low energy transfer loss using a magnetic field for non-radiative power transfer
- Meets industry safety guidelines from
- ICNIRP (International Commission of Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection)
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- FCC (Federal Communications Commission)
- Helps minimize driver distraction
- Assists with meeting local transportation laws regarding device use while driving
- Helps ensure device operation when needed
- Interior design flexibility
- Does not require precise positioning
- Available in customer-specific packaging
- Bluetooth® communications compatible
- Environmentally friendly
- Eliminates need for disposal of charge ports and adaptors
Delphi Wireless Device Charging Systems are intended for use in ground transportation vehicles. They can be used to recharge most consumer electronic devices, such as smartphones and tablets.
Single-mode systems are available today. Multi-mode systems are in development and will be available as standards are finalized.
Along with delivering the seamless connectivity that consumers demand, Delphi’s integrated wireless device-charging system is a next step toward enabling an automated driving experience.
The Delphi Advantage
As a global leader in data connectivity systems, Delphi understands the electronics required to provide hub functions, device recognition, charging capabilities, circuit protection electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) filtering and everything else that goes into providing a seamless experience. Delphi has been a high-volume global producer of high speed data products since 2006.
Delphi has active involvement with many industry groups, including the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), Wireless Power Consortium (WPC), Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) and the Power Matters Alliance (PMA). Through close participation with different global standards groups, Delphi is in a position to offer compatible technology and provide standards-compliant products.